Do I need council approval for this building?

Whenever you want to build or add to your property, it always seems there is a minefield of what you can or can’t do with regard to council regulations.

A great place to find out about rules and regulations is by talking to your local council or alternatively you can get most answers by going online.

Many property owners will want to have some form of shed, craft room, potting shed or sleep out and often wonder what the rules and regulations are with regard to size, height and position.

Another question people frequently ask is what is required when they wish to connect power to their sleep out or craft room. The general rule is to have it done by a professional Electrician to avoid problems that could potentially be fatal.

Just remember it is always best to ask your local council if you are not sure, after all that is what they are there for.  It is always a good idea to do the job correctly the first time rather than having a potentially costly mistake you need to fix at a later date.

General repair, maintenance and replacement

Comparable materials and assembly are to be used; also replacement should be in the same position as the original.

Buildings that are not going to be lived in such as garages, sheds, farm buildings and potting sheds, can be repaired or replaced. But must not be a public building and can only be a single story.

Territorial and regional authority discretionary exemption

Check with your local council on this as some council have the discretion to exempt quite detailed structures.

Single story detached buildings not exceeding 10-20 square meters. (Check regulations in your state!)

This can be Garden Sheds, Shabby Chic Sheds, Tack sheds, Cabins and Sleep outs.

For sleeping accommodation there must be facilities of an existing house or building (such as a camp cooking room). You must not have any cooking facilities in your detached building as there is a risk of fire. All sleeping areas must have a smoke alarm.

There are cases however where you will need a building consent.

If you are a rural land owner and you have a sleep out with a net floor area of 10 square metres and there is no existing residential dwelling on your property, your sleep out will require a building consent.

You erect a potting shed that is 2.8 metres high and you place it 1 metre from your boundary.

You will require consent as your wooden shed is not its own height away from the boundary.

You decide to include a loft area in your detached sleep out. The floor area of the loft is more that a metre from its supporting ground level therefore it will require a building consent.

Unoccupied detached buildings

This could be a construction site office.

Make sure you always check that there are no planning requirements for your area (for example daylight planes, and how far you need to be from boundaries. Also sometimes you have rules for maximum coverage of an area).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
You need to agree with the terms to proceed